Saturday 15 December 2012

Creating For Christmas!

FINALLY!!!! I have managed to have some uninterrupted time in my sewing room and have three Christmas gifties finished ... YAY!! Just as well, too, since two of them need to go in Monday's mail ... EEK!! :0)

Now I know many of you will agree that it's harder to find projects to make for boys than it is for girls, so I've fallen back on a tried-and-true giftie idea ... applique pillowcases. I've made a few of these now and they have always been well received ... and I remember having a special pillowcase when I was a child, too ... one that had been painted with Hobbytex (does anyone else remember them????) by one of my aunts. It was a Hurdy-gurdy-gondelope ... a bit like an Aussie bunyip ... and I hated when that pillowcase was in the wash and I had to have an ORDINARY one! :0)

So ... here are my NOT ordinary pillowcases ...

This car is from a quilt called "Peak Hour" that was published in "Homespun" a couple of years ago ... sorry ... I couldn't find my copy of the mag to tell you who it was designed by ... maybe Kelly from "Don't Look Now" ????
 
Isn't this elephant cute?! :0) I adapted a clip art pic to suit ... just loved the rear view! Tee! Hee! Hee!
 
And the third one is "Raffe" for my brother's little boy ... his favourite animal when they recently visited the zoo in Sydney ... and a companion for the little elephant.
 
These pillowcases are a fun to make and quite quick, once you work out your design. You can add an initial or even a full name ... or just go with a cute picture. I'm going to add a colouring book or bedtime story book to these ones, but you could also fill them up with lots of little treats for a Christmas surprise and an alternative to stockings. You're limited only by your imagination ... OH BOY!! I could end up ANYWHERE  in that case! Tee! Hee! Hee!
 
I think I've earned a cup of tea and a bit of a read before I head off to keep a date with my pillow ... I'm re-reading Kerry Greenwood's "Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries" series ... really well written whodunits set in 1928's Melbourne ... I'd recommend them if you like a good mystery with a bit of humour and a VERY independent lady detective. :0) Hope you're all managing to find some time to sneak into your sewing rooms, too, and that you enjoy the rest of your weekend. Til next time ...
 
BEAR HUGS!

CHEERS!
KRIS
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG OMG OMG! You know who the Hurdy-Gurdy-Gondelope is!? I have never found another person who knew about the Hurdy-Gurdy-Gondelope until now :oD I'm feeling spooky! I loved that book so much, and I found a copy of it recently *grin*. I still have a tube of black Hobbytex paint somewhere in my sewing stuff :o) Mum and the lady next door where into Hobbytex in a big way. I can still smell the stuff. Especially loved the glitter Hobbytext paints *grin*. I think I may be showing my age :oD Loads to catch up with you about, almost back on deck, have a happy weekend, toni xx

Elizabeth said...

Love the pillows, but, do you need to make two of the same for each child so they have a spare when the other is in the wash!!!!!!!just joking. There are going to be some happy children on christmas day and you will be a favourite Aunty.

Michelle Ridgway said...

What a special Aunty you are. They will certainly become special treasures. Well done.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

They are so cute Kris, the kids will love them....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...