Thursday 14 February 2008

Two best friends for Valentine's Day!

Well, today was Valentine's Day - did you get spoiled? I did, in a way, as I got to spend the day 'playing' with my best friend. Now I know I've said in my profile that I've been married to my best friend for 15 years - that would be Scott AKA Geek Boy - but you see, I have a second best friend, or perhaps I should say a first!! Have I confused you now?!? What if I explain that I have TWO best friends! My first best friend's name is Lynette and we've been best buds since we were 9. Other friends came and went over the years, but it was always the two of us, to the point where if one showed up alone, people would ask, "Where's the other one?" To look at us, we are complete opposites, a bit like Laurel and Hardy - Lynette has always been tall, often blond, blue-eyed and athletic, while I - am not!!! Tee! Hee! Hee! We followed very different career paths when I went to uni to study Journalism and she became a nurse. Lynette lives in the 'big smoke' suburbs of Brisbane, while I've mostly lived in rural communities. Yet through it all, the friendship has remained, grown, evolved and come out the other end even stronger. Aren't I lucky!! She even trusts me to be Godmother to her youngest daughter!! We share a warped sense of humour and often speak in half sentences because the other instinctively knows how the thought ends (the husbands just shake their heads and call for an interpreter!) and often call each other only to find we were both thinking of the other - to the point where we joke about sharing a brain!! I met Scott when Lynette and I went to a singing/music/art/dance/drama camp during school holidays and he quickly became my second 'best friend'. Whew! Are you REALLY confused now!! Tee! Hee! Hee!

So ... Lynette lives just over an hour from me, so every six to eight weeks, I jump in the car and head down the range for a 'play date'. Sometimes, we explore new suburbs with cute, funky boutiques, sometimes we spend the day in a coffee shop and sometimes we just curl up on her couch with cuppas for a good chat! In short, we 'play'. Today, we headed to a fantastic garden centre that also has a gorgeous gift shop and a very nice coffee shop, where we browsed and enjoyed lunch. Here's Lynette about to tackle a very tasty serving of barramundi.



We then wandered through the gift shop where I drooled over some gorgeous shabby chic bird houses and a cookbook boasting 500 cupcake recipes (must add that one to my birthday wish list!), I bought Lynette her late Christmas present of a bromiliad (decided not to post that one!) and we raced back to be on time to pick up her kids from school - only to find she had misread her new watch and we were an hour early!! Probably the only time in the history of the world this has happened as we both perpetually run late, especially when we're together!! Tee! Hee! Hee! So ... we did the only logical thing - we found another coffee shop! Then an hour later, at the correct time, the kids were collected (headcount - do we have enough?!?) and feeding time at the zoo took place. Of course, after the kids had been subdued with snacks, we needed another cuppa!! Here we are on Lynette's back verandah, relaxing after our 'hard' day!



I then came home to exchange chocolates for Valentine's Day with Scott - it seems great minds think alike! Mmmmm Raffaello!!! And then we did something REALLY romantic together - we did the grocery shopping!

Never mind, all in all, I can't think of a much better way to spend Valentine's day than spending time with my two 'best friends' - unless it involved fabric ... or cupcakes ... or tea cups ... or ...

Til next time,

CHEERS!
KRIS

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...